Fall 2017 – Winter 2018 UTM Courses
Course Codes: F, S, and Y Courses
- Courses with suffix “F” will run during the Fall term (September to December).
- Courses with suffix “S” will run during the Second term (January to May).
- Courses with suffix “Y” will run the entire year (September to May).
- F and Y courses begin Sept. 5, 2017 and F courses end Dec. 4, 2017.
- Final exams for F courses are held from Dec. 7 until Dec. 19, 2017.
- S and Y courses begin Jan. 3, 2018 and end April 3, 2018.
- Final exams for S and Y courses are held from April 9 until April 23, 2018.
UTM Course Timetables
- For the latest 2017-18 course timetable, visit the UTM Registrar’s website.
- For a list of all UTM philosophy courses and their descriptions, visit the philosophy section of the UTM Registrar’s website.
Introduction to Philosophy: New Half Course Options
In order to give students the option of taking a one-semester (0.5 credit) introductory course in philosophy, PHL105Y: Introduction to Philosophy has been replaced with two 0.5 courses, PHL101H5 and PHL102H5.
Note that the numbering of these two courses is not significant. They are taught at the same level (introductory with no prerequisites) and students may take either or both courses in any order or simultaneously. Both will be offered every F and S semester.
The two courses differ only in the topics they will focus on: PHL101 will focus on ethical and political questions, while PHL102 will focus on questions about knowledge and reality. As always, the specific topics covered, and the assignments (papers, tests, etc.) given, are decided by the individual professor.
Any philosophy requirement (i.e., any requirement of a philosophy program) satisfied by PHL105Y5 is also satisfied by PHL101H5 and by PHL102H5 individually.
Critical Reasoning: New Course Code
PHL145H5: Critical Reasoning has a new course code: PHL247H5. The course is otherwise the same as before.
Introduction to Logic: New Section
To accommodate a significant waitlist, we have opened a new section of PHL245H5: Introduction to Logic, in the first (fall) term.
Probability and Inductive Logic: New Section
To accommodate a significant waitlist, we have opened a new section of PHL246H5: Probability and Inductive Logic in the second (winter) term.