- BA, Hebrew University
- MA, Pittsburgh
- PhD, Pittsburgh
For more information visit Prof. Tenenbaum’s personal website.
Ethics, Kant, Moral Philosophy
Works in Progress:
Email Professor Tenenbaum if you would like to see a draft of any of these papers.
- “Extended Agency and The ‘Problem’ of Diachronic Autonomy (with Julia Nefsky)
- “The Guise of the Guise of the Bad”
- “Why all Practical Truth is Theoretical”
- “Reason and Action Explanation” (with Benjamin Wald) entry for Oxford Handbook of Reasons and Normativity.
- Appearances of the Good (Cambridge 2007)
- Moral Psychology (Rodopi 2007), ed.
- Desire, Practical Reason, and the Good (Oxford 2010), ed.
If you cannot access items behind a paywall, please email Professor Tenenbaum for a copy of the paper. Also note that articles are for personal use only.
- “The Guise of the Good” entry for Routledge Handbook of Practical Reason, eds. Ruth Chang and Kurt Sylvan
- “Reconsidering Intentions” (forthcoming in Noûs).
- “Deontology and Risk: Against the Multiplicative Model“, Ethics 127 (April 2017), pp. 674-707.
- “Directionality and Virtuous Ends: Kant on our Duties Regarding Animals” (with Arthur Ripstein), forthcoming on Lucy Allais and John Callanan (eds.), Kant on Animals (Oxford University Press)
- “Representing Collective Agency” (part of a symposium on Michael Bratman’s Shared Agency), Philosophical Studies 172 (12):3379-3386, 2015.
- “Moral Faith and Moral Reasons” in Sophie-Grace Chappell (ed.), Intuition, Theory, and Anti-Theory in Ethics, (Oxford University Press, 2015)
- “Acting and Satisficing” in George Pavlakos & Veronica Rodriguez-Blanco (eds.), Reasons and Intentions in Law and Practical Agency. Cambridge University Press, pp. 31-51 (2015)
- “Minimalism about Intentions”, Inquiry (Special Issue on Choice Over Time), 57 (3):384-411, 2014.
- “The Perils of Earnest Consequentializing“, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 88 (1):233-240. (part of a symposium on Doug Portmore’s Commonsense Consequentialism)
- “Guise of the Good“, International Encyclopedia of Ethics (Wiley-Blackwell, 2013)
- “Vague Projects and the Puzzle of the Self-Torturer” (with Diana Raffman), Ethics 123, October 2012, pp. 86-112.
- “Knowing the Good and Knowing What One is Doing”, Canadian Journal of Philosophy, suppl. vol. 35 (special issue on Belief and Agency). 2012.
- “Externalism, Motivation, and Moral Knowledge” in Ethical Naturalism: Current Debates, edited by S. Nuccetelli and G. Seay (Cambridge UP, 2012).
- “The Idea of Freedom and Moral Law in Groundwork III”, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 84 (3):555-589, 2012.
- “Review of Christine Korsgaard’s Self-Constitution“, Ethics 121 (2):449-455, 2011.
- “Good and Good For”, in Sergio Tenenbaum (ed.), Desire, Practical Reason, and the Good, Oxford University Press, 2010.
- “Akrasia and Irrationality” in T. O’Connor and C. Sandis, A Companion to the Philosophy of Action, Blackwell, 2010.
- “The Vice of Procrastination” in Chrisoula Andreou and Mark White (eds.),The Thief of Time, Oxford University Press, 2010.
- “In Defense of Appearances: Replies to Schueler, Tappolet, and Clark”, Dialogue, 2009.
- “Appearing Good: A Reply to Schroeder”, Social Theory and Practice, 34 (1), January 2008, pp. 131-138.
- “The Conclusion of Practical Reason” in New Trends in Philosophy: Moral Psychology, edited by Sergio Tenenbaum (Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2007), pp. 323-343 (uncorrected proof).
- “Brute Requirements: A Critical Notice of Gert’s Brute Rationality”, Canadian Journal of Philosophy 37, pp. 153-173, 2007.
- “Review of David Velleman’s Self to Self“, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews 8 2007.
- “Direction of Fit and Motivational Cognitivism” in Oxford Studies in Metaethics, edited by Russ Shafer-Landau, Oxford University Press, 2006. Pp. 235-264.
- “Friendship and the Laws of Reason: Kant and Baier on Love and Principles” in Persons, Promises and Practices, edited by Joyce Jenkins and Christopher Williams (Notre Dame, Ill: University of Notre Dame Press), 2005, pp. 250-280 (uncorrected proof).
- “Quasi-Realism and Ordinary Discourse: The Problem Of Autonomous Effects” Philosophical Quarterly 53 (July 2003), pp. 392-409.
- “Speculative Mistakes and Ordinary Temptations: Kant on Instrumental Conceptions of Rationality” History of Philosophy Quarterly 20 (April 2003), pp. 203-223.
- “Accidie, Evaluation, and Motivation” in Weakness of Will and Varieties of Practical Irrationality, edited by Christine Tappolet, Fabienne Pironet, Sarah Stroud (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003) pp. 147-171 (manuscript).
- “Ethical Internalism and Glaucon’s Question” Noûs 34, 1 (March 2000), pp. 108-130.
“The Judgment of a Weak Will” Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 49, 4 (December 1999), 875-911.
- “Realists Without a Cause: Deflationary Theories of Truth and Ethical Realism“, Canadian Journal of Philosophy 26:561 – 589
- “Hegel’s Critique of Kant in the Philosophy of Right”, Kant-Studien 86, 2 (April 1995), pp. 211-230; with Hans Lottenbach.