- BA, Harvard University
- PhD, Yale University
Amy Mullin’s research ranges from topics in the history of philosophy to feminist philosophy (philosophy of care, conceptions of the self) and aesthetics (art, imagination and morality).
Prof. Mullin is cross-appointed to the Department for the Study of Religion.
Aesthetics, Bioethics, Feminist Philosophy, Social and Political Philosophy
- Reconceiving Pregnancy and Childcare: Ethics, Experience and Reproductive Labor (Cambridge University Press, 2005).
- Forthcoming, “Children and Disability”, co-authored with Gideon Calder, The Routledge Handbook of the Philosophy of Childhood and Children, eds. Anca Gheaus, Gideon Calder and Jurgen de Wispeleare (2019).
- Forthcoming, “Gender and the Family”, The Routledge Handbook of the Philosophy of Childhood and Children, eds. Anca Gheaus, Gideon Calder and Jurgen de Wispeleare (2019).
- “Art, Imagination and Revisioning the Maternal” forthcoming in Feminist Aesthetics and Philosophy of Art: The Power of Critical Vision and Creative Engagement, ed. L. Ryan Musgrave, Springer, 2013
- “Dependent Children, Gratitude and Respect” in Journal of Moral Philosophy 2016, 13: 720-738.
- “Early Pregnancy Losses: Multiple Meanings and Moral Considerations” in Journal of Social Philosophy 2015, 46(1): 27-43.
- “Children, Paternalism, and the Development of Autonomy” in Ethical Theory and Moral Practice, special issue on “Private Autonomy, Public Paternalism?” eds. A. Dufner and M. Kühler 2014 (Vol. 17(3): 413-426).
- “Children, Parents, and Responsibility for Children’s Health” in The Routledge Companion to Bioethics, Part VI, Reproduction, eds. John D. Arras, Elizabeth Fenton, Rebecca Kukla, December 2014, 381-392.
- “Children, Vulnerability and Emotional Harm” in Vulnerability: New Essays in Ethics and Feminist Philosophy, eds. C. Mackenzie, W. Rogers and S. Dodds. New York: Oxford University Press, 2014, 266-287.
- “The Ethical and Social Significance of Parenting: A Philosophical Approach” forthcoming in Parenting: Science and Practice, 2012
- “Narrative, Emotion and Autonomy” in Narrative, Emotion and Insight, 2011, eds. Noel Carroll and John Gibson, Pennsylvania State University Press, 92-108.
- “Children and the Argument from Marginal Cases” in Ethical Theory and Modern Practice, 2011 (Vol. 14, No. 3, 291-305)
- “Gratitude and Caring Labour in Ethics and Social Welfare” 2011, special issue on Ethics of Care, eds. Christine Koggell and Joan Orme (Vol. 5, No. 2, 110-122).
- “Filial Responsibilities of Dependent Children” in Hypatia, Winter 2010 (Vol. 25, No. 1)