- BA, University of Nebraska
- MA, University of Michigan
- PhD, University of Michigan
Prof. Charlow’s research focuses on philosophical issues in the semantics of natural language, often extending into meta-ethics and epistemology. Across his work he has been interested in developing a theory of what philosophers call “content” that better explains how certain types of language — imperative, conditional, modal, deontic, experiential — interface with thought.
For more information visit Prof. Charlow’s personal website.
Metaethics, Philosophy of Language
- Triviality and the Logic of Restricted Quantification
Forthcoming in Synthese.
- Modus Ponens and the Logic of Decision
Forthcoming in Journal of Philosophical Logic.
- Metasemantic Quandaries
2022. Meaning, Decision, and Norms: Themes from the Work of Allan Gibbard (Dunaway and Plunkett eds.), Maize Books: 171–202.
- Propositions as (Flexible) Types of Possibilities
2022. The Routledge Handbook of Propositions (Tillman and Murray eds.), Routledge: 211–230.
- Grading Modal Judgement
2020. Mind 129: 769–807.
- The Spectre of Triviality
2019. Analysis 79: 595–605.
- Clause-Type, Force, and Normative Judgment in the Semantics of Imperatives
2018. New Work on Speech Acts (Fogal, Harris, and Moss eds.), Oxford UP: 67–98.
- Decision-Theoretic Relativity in Deontic Modality
2018. Linguistics and Philosophy 41: 251–287.”
- “Triviality for Restrictor Conditionals”
2016. Noûs 50: 533–564.
- “Decision Theory: Yes! Truth Conditions: No!”
2016. In Deontic Modality (Charlow & Chrisman eds.), Oxford UP: 47–81.
- “Prospects for an Expressivist Theory of Meaning”
2015. Philosophers’ Imprint 15: 1–43.
- “The Meaning of Imperatives”
2014. Philosophy Compass 9: 540–555.
- “Logic and Semantics for Imperatives”
2014. Journal of Philosophical Logic 43: 617–664.
- “The Problem with the Frege-Geach Problem”
2014. Philosophical Studies 167: 635–665.
- “Conditional Preferences and Practical Conditionals”
2013. Linguistics and Philosophy 36: 463–511.
- “What We Know and What To Do”
2013. Synthese 190: 2291–2323.
- “Presupposition and the A Priori”
2013. Philosophical Studies 165: 509–26.
- “Restricting and Embedding Imperatives”
2010. In Logic, Language, and Meaning: Selected Papers from the 17th Amsterdam Colloquium, M. Aloni et al. (eds.): 223–33.
Maanjiwe nendamowinan (room 6146), 3359 Mississauga Road North, Mississauga, ON L5L 1C6
Jackman Humanities Building (room 516), 170 St. George Street, Toronto, ON M5R 2M8