📌 Note: These are UTM Philosophy’s current program requirements. Students may choose to follow the program requirements that existed at the time of their program selection (available in past academic calendars) or they may follow the current program requirements. It is recommended that all students discuss their course selection requirements with the Undergraduate Advisor, Jane Medeiros, on the 6th Floor, Maanjiwe Nendamowinan (Rm. 6176).
Specialist Program Requirements: ERSPE0231 Philosophy (Arts)
For an Honours degree, students must complete 10.0 credits in Philosophy (not including PHL204H5). At least 4.0 credits must be at the 300-level or higher, including at least 1.0 credit at the 400-level.
Enrolment in the Specialist Program in Philosophy is limited to students who have completed 4.0 credits, including 2.0 PHL credits each with a grade of 73% or higher.
- At least 3.5 credits in the History of Philosophy: PHL200H5, 210Y5, and 2.0 additional credits from PHL220H5, 300H5, 301H5, 302H5, 307H5, 313H5, 314H5, 315H5, 324H5, 325H5, 327H5, 400H5, 416H5, 420H5;
- At least 1.0 credit in Logic and Philosophy of Language: PHL245H5 and 0.5 additional credit from PHL246H5, 340H5, 345H5, 346H5, 347H5, 348H5, 350H5, 451H5,
- At least 1.5 credits in Metaphysics and Epistemology: from PHL332H5, 333H5, 341H5, 342H5, 355H5, 358H5, 360H5, 430H5,
- At least 1.5 credits in Ethics and Political Philosophy: PHL277Y5 or PHL265H5 and PHL275H5; and 0.5 additional credit from PHL365H5, 370H5, 374H, 375H5, 376H, 380H5, 475H5.
It is strongly recommended that students begin their study of Philosophy with PHL103H5, PHL1113H5, or PHL105Y5, and that students planning to enrol in the Specialist Program in Philosophy complete PHL202H5, 210Y5, 245H5, and 277Y5 or PHL265H5 and PHL275H5 by the end of their second year.
Major Program Requirements: ERMAJ0231 Philosophy (Arts)
Students must complete a program of 7.0 credits in Philosophy (not including PHL204H5), at least 3.0 of which must be at the 300/400 level. The program must include:
- At least 2.5 credits in the History of Philosophy: PHL200H5, 210Y5 and 1.0 additional credit from PHL220H5, 300H5, 301H5, 302H5, 307H5, 313H5, 314H5, 315H5, 324H5, 325H5, 327H5, 400H5, 416H5, 420H5;
- At least 0.5 credit in Logic: PHL245H5;
- At least 1.0 credit in Metaphysics and Epistemology: from PHL332H5, 333H5, 341H5, 342H5, 355H5, 358H5, 360H5, 430H5;
- At least 1.0 credit in Ethics and Political Philosophy: PHL277Y or PHL275H and one of PHL265H or PHL274H;
It is strongly recommended that students begin their study of Philosophy with PHL103H5, PHL113H5, or PHL105Y5, and that students planning to enrol in the Major Program in Philosophy complete at least 2.0 credits of PHL202H5, 210Y5, 245H5 and 277Y5 by the end of their second year.
Minor Program Requirements: ERMIN0231 Philosophy (Arts)
Minor Program Requirements: ERMIN1618 Ethics, Law, and Society
Through this program, students will gain a deeper understanding of ethical theories and their application in various social contexts, and of particular ethical issues that arise in areas such as health care, the environment, legal systems and political institutions. Students are required to take courses in introductory philosophy, ethics and value theory, as well as within the general Social Sciences. Courses should be selected in consultation with the Faculty Advisor.
- 1.0 credit from the following: PHL103H5, PHL113H5, PHL105Y5, PHL210Y5, PHL235H5, PHL240H5, PHL241H5, PHL244H5, PHL247H5, PHL255H5, PHL258H5, PHL285H5
- 0.5 credit from PHL265H5, PHL271H5, PHL275H5
- 1.0 credit from PHL267H5, PHL273H5, PHL274H5, PHL277Y5, PHL283H5, PHL365H5, PHL370H5, PHL374H5, PHL375H5, PHL376H5, PHL475H5, or from courses listed in #2 above.
- 1.0 credit from ANT, ECO, POL, or SOC
- 0.5 additional credits from ANT, ECO, POL, SOC, or from courses listed in #2 or #3 above.
Minor Program Requirements: ERMIN1370 Philosophy of Science (Arts)
- PHL103H5 or PHL113H5 or PHL105Y5
- At least 1.5 credits from AST/BIO/ERS/CHM/PSY/PHY courses at the 100/200 Level (see the Degree Explorer Tool).
📌 Note: Courses intended as science courses for students in the Humanities and Social Sciences cannot be counted towards this requirement. In Req2
- At least 1.0 credits from PHL255H5 or PHL350H5 or PHL355H5 or PHL357H5 or PHL358H5
- At least 0.5 credits from PHL255H5 or PHL355H5 in Req4
- At least 0.5 additional credits in Philosophy
- When choosing your courses, keep in mind that not all courses listed are offered every year. Some courses required to complete a program might be offered only every other year. For courses to be offered this year, please visit the UTM Courses page.
- Students who do not meet the prerequisite for a particular course but believe that they have adequate preparation should consult the Undergraduate Advisor concerning entry to the course.
- Students who take PHL277Y5 will count as having taken PHL265H5 and PHL275H5.
- All 200-level courses (with the exception of PHL204H5, PHL245H5 and PHL247H5) have the prerequisite that the student has completed at least 4.0 credits at the university. This prerequisite is waived for students who are taking or have taken a 100-level course in Philosophy.
- All 300-level courses (with the exception of PHL 344H5-347H5) have a prerequisite of 1.5 credits in Philosophy. It is strongly recommended that students prepare for 300-level courses by taking two of the following: 103H5/113H5/105Y5, 202H5, 210Y5, 245H5, 277Y5. Some 300-level courses have specific prerequisites or recommended preparation, as described in the course description.
- The prerequisite for 400-level courses (with the exception of PHL451H5) is 4.5 credits in Philosophy.
- Students without pre- or co-requisites or written permission of the instructor can be de-registered from courses at any time.