Are you interested in being a TA in PHL100Y1 for the 2023-24?
The Socrates Project offers senior undergraduate students the chance to become teaching assistants (TAs) for PHL100Y1 (Introduction to Philosophy – Historical).
In addition to your responsibilities as a TA, you will be required to take the Socrates Project Seminar (PHL489Y1) which provides you the opportunity to learn more about the material taught in PHL100Y and work individually with a faculty member on a research project.
Course Information: PHL100Y1Y Introduction to Philosophy
Professor: Prof. Donald Ainslie
Lectures: Tuesdays and Thursdays 11:00-12:00
Tutorials: TBD (Various days throughout the week)
Estimated enrolment : 450 (approximately 22 students per tutorial group)
Number of positions: up to 9 positions available
Estimated TA hours: 110 hrs per term, 220 hrs total.
Dates of Appointment: September 2023 – April 2024
Delivery Method: In-person tutorials and lectures (subject to public health protocols)
Pay Rate: $47.64/hour
- Enrolled in the 3rd or 4th yr of an undergraduate philosophy or bioethics major, specialist or joint specialist program on the St. George campus.
- Good prior knowledge of the subject-matter of the course.
- Minimum A- average in philosophy courses preferred.
- Leading two tutorial groups (one hour each per week) and related preparation and activities.
- Grading of student work and related activities.
- Attending approximately half the lectures.
- Meeting with the Course Instructor/Socrates Project Facilitator as required.
- Attending TA training sessions in late August or early September.
- Reasonable student contact hours.
- Tutorials will be held in-person (subject to public health guidelines)
We are now accepting applications for the 2022-23 Socrates Project. Applications and Resumes/CVs must be received by March 31st, 2023.
Applications for the 2023-24 Socrates Project are now closed.
Applicants who are being considered for the program will be invited to a mandatory interview with the hiring committee.